Lots of discussions of Cultural Appropriation and Islam on my dash.
While I wouldn’t use the term cultural appropriation to describe someone taking something from the Islamic religion and using it without understanding/meaning behind it, according to the definition of cultural appropriation - religion would fall under it. It can include the introduction of forms of dress or personal adornment, music and art, religion, language, or social behavior. Although there are many cultures, races, ethnic groups, etc .. that are represented within Islam there is still the term “Islamic Culture” which refers to the practices that developed around and through the religion of Islam (salah, the Qur’an, Eid, the Islamic marriage ceremony, Islamic art..etc). When someone speaks of the “culture” of Islam, they aren’t referring to the ethnic culture of the people that represent the religion, rather the culture that was created through the religion.
If that makes any sense.
I like this, it’s interesting. I always thought of cultural appropriation as having nothing to do with religion.
- alhamdullilahforeverything likes this
- thoughtresurrection reblogged this from beautifulqalb
- theslaveofallah likes this
- not-one-step-back reblogged this from thesmallestactofkindness and added:
- bintdaud reblogged this from samiracortez and added:
- openupdetachedfree likes this
- thesmallestactofkindness reblogged this from samiracortez
- thesmallestactofkindness likes this
- idreamofmansaf likes this
- beautifulqalb reblogged this from samiracortez and added:
- faineemae likes this
- samiracortez posted this